Thursday, April 2, 2009

Teaching a Visual Spatial Learner

My oldest daughter learns in a visual spatial manner. Over the years we have tried a lot of curriculum that did not work for her and have found some methods, techniques and curriculum that worked beautifully for her.

First we found that what we do must fit these parameters:

short intense lessons
visuals and pictures but not overly busy pages
whole to parts or big picture learning

The education method that I have found works best for her is the Latin Centered Curriculum method.

The curriculum that works for her:

Phonics--Spell to Write and Read once I added visuals for the phonograms

Reading--graphic novels have opened the world of books for her

Mathematics--Singapore Math

Science--My Pals are Here and Abeka science readers

Grammar/Latin--teaching grammar through the study of Latin using Lively Latin

Composition--Classical Writing seems to be working right now.

Art--just having supplies available allows her to create whatever she wants

Do you have a visual spatial learner? What has worked for you?

2 comments:

Litten Lamm Academy said...

Thank you for posting this both here and on WTM (I had posted about the visual learner). This actually looks very similar to where I want to *go*...I'm going to have to keep an eye on your blog! :)

CloseAcademy said...

I'm glad I could help. Thanks for stopping by. I do regular weekly reports as well as review of our curriculum and the direction we are moving in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails