Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Progymnasmata, Science and Fourth Grade

Fourth grade, I can not believe that it will be starting next year for my oldest daughter. Composition and science instruction have been at the forefront of my thoughts for this fourth grade year. Math, history, and Latin are all decided and we have great texts that are working. Here are my scattered thoughts on science and composition:

Composition

I love the progymnasmata framework.
We could concentrate on descriptive writing this year.

Science

My Pals are Here is nice but for fifth grade I would like to do a general science course and a physical science course for sixth.

I've wanted to do a habitat/tour of the world study for some time. This would link really well with my younger daughter's social studies which is a geography course.

If we did habitats there are a lot of great lapbooks out there and interesting read alouds.

Habitats could be linked to descriptive writing and it had been my plan to do a geography style tour of the world.

Conclusion:

We could take a tour of the habitats of the world. We would visit these places through books, meet the animals, look at the flora, meet the people, taste the food and smell the spices. We would use lapbooks and compositions to show and describe our journeys and put them all together in a travel journal as a keepsake of fourth grade.

What do you think?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails