Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Time Management

The is the first in my time management and organization series of posts. Over the next few weeks, I will be posting ideas on how to better manage your time as well as reviewing some time management products that could help you.

The first time I had ever heard of time management was in a college orientation class. The instructor gave us some time sheet forms and the next thing I knew I was addicted to time management although I did not always manage my time well.

Over time, I have used various methods and even programs to help me keep track of my time and manage my schedule so that I was being as productive as I could be. Looking back, I realize that there are stages that you go through in learning to manage time:

Stage 1--You can manage time? I hadn't thought of that before.

The is when you realize that you can actually do something about how you use your time and that you don't just have to drift through life doing whatever feels good while your responsibilities fall by the wayside and your work piles up.

Stage 2--Tracking time

This is the period when you keep a calendar and write down appointments and places you have to be and things you need to do. You still waste a lot of time but you actually show up for important events and maybe even on time.

Stage 3--Scheduling my time/Where does my time go?

At this point you actually write down a schedule that may be broken up as small as 15 minute increments. You may just write down what you want to do at each point or you may be keeping a diary of what you are actually doing at each point in time.

Stage 4--Eureka! I can do this.

This is where you decide to maybe get a system or do it on your own and actually eliminate time wasters so that you can concentrate on the things that you have to do so you can free up your schedule to do the things you love to do.

Over the next few weeks, I will go through things you may use to help in time management and how to become a better steward of your time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails