Saturday, November 29, 2008

Recreating Food--Pot Roast to Stew

This is the first in a series of posts about how to recreate a main dish into something new.

My Pot Roast

1 1b of beef in a roast style cut
flour
potatoes
carrots
onions

Spread flour over both sides of the roast and brown it in a frying pan.
Chop up a small onion and put it in the bottom of the crock pot.
Add browned roast.

Add potatoes (sometimes I just add a jar of potatoes I have canned and other times I cut up enough to form a layer of wedges.)

Add carrots (sometimes I add a small bag of baby carrots and other times I chop up enough to form a layer.)

Add a 1/2 cup of water.
Cook on low 8 to 10 hours until the roast falls apart.
Serve with biscuits.

Pot Roast Stew

With the leftovers of yesterday's pot roast you can make a tasty hardy stew.

left over meat and veggies from the Pot Roast
1/2 cup grains (rice, wild rice, barley, lentils, whatever combination you want to try)
4 cups liquid (include pot roast juices and add beef broth or bouillon if needed.)

Chop up the meat and veggies and put them in the crock pot.
Add 4 cups liquid (peel the solidified fat off the liquid before pouring it in. Sometimes I add a small can of beef broth and a cup or two of water and bouillon).

Add grains. I usually do about 1/2 to 1 cup of grains and use a little of everything I have on hand.

Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and serve with the leftover biscuits reheated in the toaster oven.
You will usually have leftovers from this and I let everyone salt and pepper to taste.

These are some nice warm comfort foods for the colder weather.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails