Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting Thrifty

My husband discovered a group of blogs that are all about saving money on groceries. Some of these bloggers spend as little as $800 per year on groceries for a family of 4. We have spent the last six weeks working on collecting coupons and learning how to match coupons to sales. This has been a lot of work but it has been rewarding.

The savings:

CVS $367.00 worth of items for $54.61 out of pocket and $34.27 extra care bucks on hand to spend.

Kroger (4 weeks) $414.38 worth of items for $168.00 out of pocket. We are just now learning how to combine e-coupons with double coupons and sales.

What did I do to make couponing work for me?

1. We have the local paper delivered and buy between 2-5 of the big city Sunday paper each week.

2. I match up the coupon pages from the papers (my local paper will have similar coupons but the ads will be laid out differently). I followed the directions from this site only I did not staple the coupons: http://www.thethriftymama.com/2008/10/dont-have-coupon-catastrophe.html You will want to read the article and the video is at the bottom.

3. I also print coupons out from these sites: http://www.everydaysaver.com/ http://www.couponmom.com/ and http://www.everydaysaver.com/

4. I use my scrapbook cutter to cut out the Internet coupons.

5. It took me about two weeks but I keep all of my coupons in a photo album (the sticky kind). I arranged it by the layout of my local Walmart store and put brand names together so that I can easily see what coupons offer me the best savings for the price.

6. Once a week I pull out all of my expired coupons and put in all of my new coupons--this now takes me about two hours a week.

7. You can also sign up for clubs and newsletters from makers of your favorite products and they will send you coupons and samples.

That's the coupons but how about the Groceries?

1. I collect my ads for groceries on Wednesday night the day before the sales start and compare the ads to my coupons.

2. I also visit these sites and see if there are any ecoupons that I can upload and combine with my coupons for free or nearly free items: http://pgesaver.com/Sites/PG_eSAVER/Page/HomePage/;jsessionid=BB20A42DB6775E4392B43DBA221C8D4B.a02
and http://shortcuts.com/ Visit these sites, add your cards but DON'T LOAD UP COUPONS yet. Wait until you have your ad on hand and can decide what coupons you want to load up and use for this week's sale. Once you load the coupons on your card they stay there until they are used or expired and there is a limit of 20 to 25 coupons on each site.

Why use ecoupons?

Because they can be stacked on top of paper coupons. For instance, Kroger had a sale on frosting for 1.50 a tub, I have a .50 coupon which doubles to 1.00 off and an ecoupon loaded for .50 so I get a total of $1.50 off which makes the frosting free. I did this one this past week.

3. Then I make a list of things that I can get for free, almost free or are just deals that I can't pass up and then I go shopping.

Here is some inspiration for grocery shopping and I will post soon about CVS and extra care bucks.

http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com

http://savingsmakescents.blogspot.com/

Happy saving!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Awesome tips! Thanks for the helpful links!

Tosha said...

Hi
I am glad that my blog provides inspiration for you! You did a great job in your first four weeks, keep up the great work~!

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your blog has been a real inspiration.

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your blog has been a real inspiration.

Tosha said...

have you checked to see if cellfire.com coupons are available in your area? they weren't in my area 3 weeks ago but now they are!you use you cell phone # to register and they text you a code to confirm. once you get the code you enter it in and then you account is active. You can use you phone number associated with you Kroger card to register you k card if you don't know your card number. there are 2 freebies right now, naturally preferred water(you can use the bogo paper coupon on this to get 2 free) and active lifestyle oatmeal.

CloseAcademy said...

I've looked at it but wasn't sure how to work it. I've never texted in my life and that kind of through me off. Lol.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails