Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Old Schoolhouse Online Version

I used to subscribe to The Old Schoolhouse in paper form. It was delivered to my home every quarter complete with a wealth of information, ideas and resources that was a treasure to a new homeschooler. It was great as I was getting started in finding my way in homeschooling but after a couple of years of experimenting and researching I found the methods and resources that worked best for us and I also found out about the wealth of information available online and I let my subscription go.

Recently, I was able to subscribe to the online version. I had missed the magazine and find that it is nice to read the articles again. The online version is nice as it does not take up a lot of room in my home. My library is currently so overstocked that I have to rotate my history books and have packed away any books that we are not ready to use right now. So being able to read and access it online is great.

Some of the perks to reading The Old Schoolhouse online:

1. I can page through it page by page or I can click on the contents and go right where I want to go.

2. I can zoom in or just skim the pages.

3. I can print out the pages and articles I want to keep or read more deeply.

4. I can bookmark pages so that I can come back to an article or find an interesting ad more quickly.

5. I can share an article that I think might be important to a friend without loaning her the entire magazine.

6. With the archive button, I can refer to other issues that I have received while looking at a current one.

7. I can view the pages as thumbnails so I can quickly scan through the magazine and find the page, article or ad that I am looking for.

I will have to say that I was skeptical about reading a magazine online but The Old Schoolhouse has done a great job at making it easy to navigate and very accessible plus it is full of all the great homeschooling information, ideas, inspiration, advertisements, and resources that it has always had. Great job TOS!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails