Friday, March 28, 2008

Week of March 24th Update

A good week. We came back fresh from last weeks fun week and were ready to get back to our normal work. My youngest asked to have me bring back copywork for her and so we will be starting that back up again. I have learned this year that if they need a break that you can give them one and they will eventually ask for it all back again when they are ready.

For Kindergarten:

Rod and Staff Reading 1--she read lessons 7 and 8 in the reader. We worked on lesson 6 and 7 in the phonics workbook and 7 and 8 in the reading workbook. She also did worksheet 7. This really seems to work for her and as I went through the rest of the workbooks I noticed that they line up rather well with the Spell to Write and Read phonograms.

Singapore Earlybird Math 2a--We worked with numbers between 11 and 20. It is going OK. I can see where she might do better with a Singapore/Rod and Staff combination.

Rod and Staff just really seems to work well with her and I am looking at possibly just using these materials for her rather than having her follow in her sister's footsteps. Homeschooling is all about meeting the needs of the child--right?

Second grade:

Story of the World--We read about Genghis Khan and China this week. After our three month break from history we just picked up right where we left off.

Phonics--the phonograms ed and ew were highlighted this week.

Copywork--we used silly phonogram sentences and she copied last week's story about the peacock.

Singapore Math 3a--we are continuing to do a word problem warm up each day. This week the focus was multiplication with regrouping. She is doing very well at it.

Minimus--We finished up chapter three. She is getting to know the verb endings and retaining the vocabulary quite well.

My Pals are Here Science 4a--States of matter was the topic this week. So we learned all about solids, liquids and gasses.

McCall-Harby Test Lessons in Reading--we do this only on Thursday and she did quite well.

She also discovered the books of Mo Willems and has been reading them for fun over and over again. It is nice to see her find something that she likes to read. I must find more books like that.

As for me:

I've been working on first and third grade. We have pretty much everything together but I have written our own language arts curriculum that includes grammar and composition. And I have also been creating charts and activities to go along with the spelling lists for The WISE Guide to Spelling by Wanda Sanseri.

Hope you had a great week too!

4 comments:

Paige said...

Thanks for sharing your week!

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Tina said...

Yes, they will miss the routine of what they are used to and ask to start it up again. It has happend at my house too.

Wow! You got a lot done. My Pals science... I have heard of it, but not really looked into it.

Have a wonderful weekend.

~Tina

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks. It was a nice break but they like the stuff that works for them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails