Saturday, January 12, 2008

Book Review: Teaching Mathematics in Rudolf Steiner Schools by Ron Jarmon

First, the price tag on this book can be scary. Most bookshops list it for $55.00 on average. But you are getting enough ideas to cover mathematics from first grade through eighth. And I mean you are getting all you need in this book.

When the book first arrived, I was disappointed. "Another small Waldorf book," I thought, "I hope it has some practical information in it."

Then I paged through it and thought: "This looks way over my head. At least I can resell it for what I paid for it."

But then I decided to give it a try and sat down with a notebook and pen and began to read. Wow! That is all I can say. This book is excellent. It has some philosophy but not too much. And lots of great practical ideas on what to do and what order to do it in.

Best of all he gives you examples of the kind of problems to do and questions to ask but helps you and encourages you to create your own.

So basically, you can gear the math curriculum completely to the needs and interests of the child. Now, I have only read through the information for first through third grade but from looking forward I expect the rest of the book to be as good.

This book is worth the price tag and worth taking the time to read and take notes.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for the review! I'm adding it to my wish list.

CloseAcademy said...

It's a good book and worth owning if you are doing Waldorf or even if you just have a kid or parent who likes math.

Thanks for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails