Saturday, October 20, 2007

A New Direction in History

A three-week break takes you out of the normal routine and gives you time to reprocess life and what is important. I found during our time in Hawai'i that we are probably too hard on our children and push too much. I know that history and science is one of those areas that my daughters love but has become boring because it is such a push to do at the end of the day.

So I am looking at changing direction and approach. I looked back at what has worked in these areas and what has not worked. We have been doing history and science studies formally for about two years since my oldest was in the second semester of Kindergarten.

What have we done in the past?

We have alternated science and history readings weekly just following the flow of Story of the World I. This period was OK but we were not crazy about leaping from place to place.

We have alternated science and history readings weekly concentrating on one culture in time reading Story of the World selections and Greek Myths. This is probably the time that we enjoyed the most and really learned a lot.

We have done history and science every day using Story of the World and Singapore Science. We liked the science but history was not that captivating.

We have done history and science every day using Story of the World and lapbooking science. We enjoy the science lapbooks but again history was not engaging.

So what has worked best all around has been alternating science and history weekly a la The Latin Centered Curriculum. We concentrated on one culture in time and we really learned a lot.


The plan:

So our plan is to spend the rest of the year studying rabbits but taking time for a leaf study, Thanksgiving and Christmas lapbooks.

At the first of the year we will dive into the colonial period with D'Aulaire and American Girl books.

Now it is off to sketch out my ideas and re plan our second semester.

4 comments:

LisaWA said...

Wow! Cant wait to see what you all accomplish! I love planning!

I hope youpost pictures of the lapbooks too! *Ü* Lots of fun!

Lisa~ ( sorry Im late posting and looking at everyones week... I just got back in town)

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm part way into the planning process. We want to do notebooking pages for states & presidents as we cross their paths. I am almost done coordinating those and the D'Aulaire & American Girl books.

I will try to get lapbooks up as we do them. Thanks.

Counting Your Blessings said...

I was wondering if you had ever put together American Girl notebooking pages? A request came through notebooking nook so I was just trying to help locate some. Thanks for your time. Blessings.. Polly

CloseAcademy said...

No, I saw the lapbooks online but basically we are just reading through the books without doing anything with them. We read through Elizabeth's set and are now reading Kaya's set of book.

Sorry, I can't help you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails